SOS Children’s Villages ensures that children grow up with the care, protection and relationships they need to become their strongest selves (photo: SOS Children’s Villages in Lebanon)

The Republic of Lebanon, is a country in Western Asia in the Levant region of the Middle East, and home to around 6.8 million people, of which 2.4 million live in the capital of Beirut. Due to its geographical location, Lebanon has often been affected by Middle Eastern conflicts, hosting one of the world's largest percentage of refugees, mostly from Palestine and Syria, who face a disproportionately high rate of poverty. Almost 90% people living in Lebanon, reside in urban areas, with the remaining 10% living in rural villages.

SOS Children’s Villages has been supporting children and young people without parental care, or at risk of losing it in Lebanon since 1969.

Children are at risk

Lebanon is home to around 1.8 million children, constituting approximately 33% of the population. Children in Lebanon suffer many hardships as a result of conflict, abuse, exploitation and forced labour. Many are systematically denied access to basic services including health and education- this is due to difficulties in registering births and getting identity documents.
1 in 4
Children go to bed hungry

Widespread poverty

Lebanon’s poverty rate has doubled in recent years, now affecting around 80% of the population, with around 36% living in extreme poverty. With inflation and dramatic rising prices of basic goods, coupled with high unemployment rates, the vast majority of households do not have enough money to cover basic necessities. This had led to a rise in child poverty and at least 23% of children go to bed hungry.

1 in 6
Children do not go to school


Children in Lebanon face several barriers to accessing education. 1 in 10 children are sent to work and 3 in 10 households need to cut their spending on education. At least 15% of families in Lebanon have been forced to stop their children’s education. In addition, there has been an increase in child marriages. Around half of the children who are refugees aren’t in school. Worse still, around 30% of Syrian child refugees have never been to school.

1 in 2


Lebanon remains the country hosting the largest number of refugees per capita, equating to around 20% of the total population. Almost all refugees are living in extreme poverty, receiving no humanitarian assistance, and without enough money to buy the food they need to survive. Half of the refugees living in Lebanon are children. Children born into poverty are more likely to experience a wide range of health problems, and also face social exclusion that further worsen their prospects, leading to multigenerational poverty.

Together we can make a difference for children in Lebanon

Can stay together
Learn at our kindergartens and schools
Medical treatments
Were possible
Grow up in our care
Young people
Are supported on their way to independence
Emergency services
Were possible
SOS Children’s Villages Lebanon supports children in their many passions and talents. Anas has been investing time and effort into developing his writing skills, saying that poetry is the best way for him to express himself (photo: SOS Children’s Villages in Lebanon).

Working together for sustainable development

In 2015, leaders from 193 countries committed to the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. This 15 year plan aims to improve the lives of people by ending poverty, fighting inequality and protecting the planet.
GOAL 1: End poverty
SOS Children’s Villages supports families and communities to keep families together and to help them break out of the cycle of poverty.
GOAL 4: Ensure quality education for all
Every child and young person SOS Children’s Villages supports has access to education, from kindergarten right up to vocational training or university.
GOAL 8: Equal job opportunities for all
SOS Children’s Villages supports young people in developing the skills and self-confidence they need to find decent work and trains parents so that they can have a stable income.
GOAL 10: Reduce inequalities
SOS Children’s Villages works to keep children safe, by promoting peaceful and inclusive communities. We provide training on children’s rights and positive parenting. .
GOAL 16: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies
We advocate laws and practices that ensure social inclusion and protection for children and young people without parental care or from marginalized households.

Let’s keep on protecting children and young people!

Many children have been able to find a safe and secure home. With your help, we can continue to change their lives